“Deadpool” Is a Different Kind of Hero

To say that “Deadpool” is not your typical Marvel or superhero movie would be an understatement.

Though comic book movie fans are used to the quick wit of Ironman (Robert Downey Jr.), Deadpool/Wade Wilson (Ryan Reynolds) takes it to a whole never level with inappropriate jokes and an abundance of cussing. This is one of the many reasons of the movie’s R rating.

Though this movie is not the all-ages type of superhero film we are used to seeing, it seems to breathe new life into the Marvel franchise.

Wade Wilson starts out as a mercenary for hire, he enthusiastically tries to separate himself from the word ‘hero,’ as what he does is anything but heroic.

This is a theme that plays throughout the movie, as X-Men characters, Colossus (Stefan Kapicic, voice) and Negasonic Teenage Warhead (Brianna Hildebrand) attempt to persuade him to join the X-Men team.

Needless to say, Deadpool has no intention of joining the good guys.

Deadpool becomes a sarcastic, quick-witted, snarky, self-deprecating, everyman. He forgets his weapons, all he wants to do is be with the woman he loves, Vanessa (Morena Baccarin), and he will do anything to get rid of the cancer that is plaguing his body.

This made his character interesting, especially when we look at comic book favorites like Captain America (the Boy Scout trope) and Ironman (rich/highly intelligent trope). Deadpool by contrast seems like a more relatable character if only in the fact that the drive for his story is so human: so save himself so he can continue to live with the woman he loves.

In this film there are no aliens, monsters or demons; merely the evil that humanity can commit by itself, and the drive for revenge.

The other thing that makes “Deadpool” stand out from other films is how Deadpool is constantly breaking the fourth wall by speaking to the audience.

This constant narration gives the film an intimate feel as we learn through flashbacks the story of Deadpool. These flashbacks often start with Reynolds saying something like, “Well, let me tell you how this started,” and return with a “now you see why I’m here.”

This was perhaps one of the things I liked best about the movie, but I am a fan of unconventional storytelling. It lets the viewer try to unravel things than just being told them through linear storytelling formats.

Did I like this movie? Quite a bit, though it had its problems, mostly stemming from the damsel-in-distress trope. In the beginning of the film Baccarin’s character was established as a strong, no-nonsense, can take care of herself, character; none of which she shows at the end where she is easily kidnapped and then must be saved by Reynolds.

Does that make this a bad movie? No, the story and the characters still hold. If we limit our idea of ‘good’ movies to only those with women who save themselves we will be waiting a long time for Hollywood to catch up and have something to watch outside of “The Hunger Games.”

Would I call it a love story? It does fit the bill if we look at from the entire plot stemming from the fact that all Deadpool wants is to get back to the woman he loves.

Should you see it? If you like superhero movies, humor, don’t mind cussing, gratuitous violence and a lot of sex, then yes, absolutely.