Do you see your closet half full or half empty?

Illustration by Tessa Glowacki

When making the transition to college, it can be difficult to decide how many clothes you should bring. You might be thinking, will I wear it all? Will it all fit in my closet? When it comes to choosing how many of your clothes to bring to college, the easiest way to find out is to ask someone who has already done it.                                                                                                           

Milla Coleman, a freshman at Colorado State University, took a more minimalistic approach to bringing her clothes to college. As an out-of-state student, Coleman thought that she wouldn’t need all of her clothes going into the new school year, so she only brought a quarter of her closet. She soon learned that she would need a lot more than she originally thought. 

“Since I am only here for two months during the summer, I was like ‘I’m not going to bring any of my summer clothes,” says Coleman. She soon noticed that she was running out of things to wear and having a lot of outfit repeats. This led to her buying more clothes online since she doesn’t have a car in Fort Collins. Not having a constant form of transportation makes it hard to get to stores. Coleman enjoys thrift shopping a lot but having to walk to them can get difficult and going to the same ones over and over gets tiring. 

I would recommend freshmen to bring all of their clothes because I don’t think they would regret it, however, I think they would regret it more if they didn’t bring all their clothes

— Haiden Rago

Her advice to future freshmen is to “Bring all your clothes and then take home what you don’t use.” Breaks are a good time to grab some clothes you need as well as take some back.

On the other end, Haiden Rago took a maximalist approach to packing for school. “I wanted to feel prepared and rather safe than sorry. Since I am out of state, I knew that I wouldn’t be able to access my clothes that I left until Thanksgiving.”  Rago stated.

Bringing her entire wardrobe to school with her helped her not to regret forgetting something. She was nervous at first about whether or not it would all fit in her closet, but she was able to make it fit. 

Even with bringing all of her clothes, she still finds herself online shopping as well. It is hard to not purchase more clothes especially when seeing the new trends on campus. “I would recommend freshmen to bring all of their clothes because I don’t think they would regret it, however, I think they would regret it more if they didn’t bring all their clothes”, says Rago.