Graduate in Style

The CSU Oval and Administration building

Whether you are a style icon among your friends or just trying to get to class and back, graduation is a special day to look your best. Finding an outfit that is both appropriate and stylish can be an arduous task for both male and female graduates. In order to look and feel your best on graduation day, there are some things to keep in mind when putting an outfit together for the big day.

For male graduates, it is important to be cognizant of your environment. You will be indoors for the duration of the ceremony with over a thousand members of your class. The ceremony room is bound to get pretty hot, so while wearing a suit would make you look good, the gown is going to undermine your efforts. “I haven’t thought about dressing. Just a gown and cap,” admits Gereon Fredrickson, a graduating psychology major.

A long or short sleeve dress shirt and slacks is a lightweight, stylish way to be appropriate on graduation day. Another alternative is to wear a nice shirt and knee-length khaki shorts underneath. After the ceremony, you can simply change and be ready for pictures and a celebratory dinner.

For our lady graduates, it is important to be aware of your environment as well. You don’t want to be in 7-inch heels and a skin tight dress. The heels and tight dress are great for a party, but inappropriate for a day of celebration with family. An appropriate dress for your graduation would be one that is  fitted on top with a skater skirt on bottom. Pair that with an appropriate heel, such as a wedge or a sandal heel or a cute flat.

If you do not feel like wearing a dress, you can opt for a flowy or fitted patterned top and straight leg slacks with a heel, making for a cute and appropriate graduation outfit option. If business pants are not your style either, an appropriate-length skirt with the top tucked in and a cute belt and heels is sure to impress.

So, while you are finishing up your finals and presenting your dissertations, don’t stress about your graduation day. If you follow these tips and take a few deep breaths, the process will be a lot smoother. Congratulations class of fall 2014, you did it!

This article was created for the 2014 Fall Graduation Guide produced by College Avenue Magazine staff.