CSU’s Rec Outdoor Program ‘Rocks On’

Climbers say their feet are the most important support when they are ascending. Trusting the legs can be the difference between falling and not falling. Photo credit: Kelly Peterson
Grant Williams was one of the Outdoor Program’s leaders that attended the April 8 climbing trip. He is climbing the route called, “Liberty.” Photo credit: Kelly Peterson

Colorado State University’s Campus Recreation has an opportunity called the Outdoor Program which offers all sorts of training, day trips and week-long trips. Back-country skiing, snowshoeing, hikes to Rocky Mountain National Park and rock climbing are all examples of trips that CSU students can take advantage of.

Equipment and transportation are included in the price. Speaking of price, it is typically around $20. But of course, that will vary depending on the trip you decide to join.

One example of a trip was the climbing adventure that happened on April 8, 2018. The climbers left at 10 a.m. and arrived back on campus at 6 p.m. The trip even included a full run-down about climbing safely.

Freshman civil engineering student at CSU, Sami Fischer, said, “it felt great to get to climb outside after being stuck indoors all winter and on top of that, I got to discover a beautiful new climbing spot and meet awesome people.” Fischer also attended a snowshoeing trip and plans to go to the Rocky Mountain National Park trip.

These Outdoor Program trips are a great way to try new things and visit new places, while it being low-key and safe.

• Andy Wittleder is climbing in a narrow passage that provides darker lighting than most routes. The leaders move the anchors around so that the climbers can have variation. Photo credit: Kelly Peterson

• Leader Grant Williams looks back at the beautiful view of Horsetooth Reservoir. His chalky hands have a firm grip on the rock’s ledge. Photo credit: Kelly Peterson

• Sami Fischer has been climbing for years now and she has experience working at ropes courses. She also braves the winters and goes ice climbing. Photo credit: Kelly Peterson

• University of Iowa students take turns on the climbing routes. They are visiting Colorado for a week-long trip of adventure and enjoyment. Photo credit: Kelly Peterson

• This pictured route is grade 5.9 which is challenging since the ledges are narrow and difficult to grasp for both toes and fingers. Photo credit: Kelly Peterson

• Hannah McCreery is almost to the destination of the day: Duncan’s Ridge. It is her third time climbing outdoors. Photo credit: Kelly Peterson

• Gabe Vazquez climbs one of the hardest routes of the day. Note the chalk bag connected to his harness which is used for preventing blisters. Photo credit: Kelly Peterson

• This angle shows the proximity of Horsetooth Reservoir. Duncan’s Ridge has a clear view of Horsetooth Rock which is right across the channel of water. Photo credit: Kelly Peterson

• Hannah McCreery and Sami Fischer smile at the camera as they get ready to belay each other on the first climb of the day. Photo credit: Kelly Peterson

• Hannah McCreery assesses her options as she ascends the route. The leaders were encouraging and helpful to the climbers. Photo credit: Kelly Peterson