The Rainbow Restaurant Turns 40

The breakfast burrito topped with salsa and sour cream. Photo credit: Rachael Worthington

The Rainbow Restaurant has been a Fort Collins staple for 40 years. Serving up delicious vegetarian options with a variety of fresh produce has become its calling card. Before I even made my way to CSU, alumni had advised me to go to the Rainbow.

The Rainbow prides itself on providing a wide array of vegetarian options and boasts separate grills for meat and vegetables. It even has its own granola that can be bought by the pound, as well as coffee cake and other sweets that can be purchased a la carte.

Pumpkin Bread French Toast
Pumpkin bread french toast topped with bananas, walnuts and rum caramel sauce. Photo credit: Rachael Worthington

My personal favorite dish would have to be their famous pumpkin bread french toast. Perfect for any time of year, but particularly for fall as it is PSL (Pumpkin Spice Latte) season. The delectable breakfast treat is made from their house-made pumpkin bread, topped with bananas, walnuts, a sweet rum caramel sauce and copious amounts of fresh whipped cream topped with cinnamon. The pumpkin bread adds depth to a breakfast dish that can sometimes feel hollow. The denser bread combined with the addition of nuts and fruit really help to make it a more satisfying meal.

Other dishes I’ve tried include the Sweet Potato and Breakfast Burrito. Both high-ranking in my book of breakfast burritos. They had that perfect combination of egg, breakfast potatoes and black beans, along with a tangy salsa that rounds out the flavors. Plus, as a bonus the Rainbow offers a carry-out burrito special for just $4.

BreakfastBurrito

For early risers, the Rainbow opens at 6:30 a.m. Monday through Friday and at 7 a.m. on the weekends, so if you’re dedicated enough you could even make it out to breakfast before your first class.

Perhaps in celebration of its 40-year anniversary, the Rainbow is hosting its Rainbow Garden Party featuring Soul Squared Brewing Company this Thursday on Sept. 15 at 6 p.m. The party is a six-course, six-beer dinner on the garden patio with live music and a portion of proceeds benefiting The Family Center. Tickets are $35 and can be purchased on Eventbrite.