Chocolate Cafe Delights With Delicious Desserts

White Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding at Chocolate Cafe. Photo by Ashleigh Smith.

Having a bad day? Going out with your significant other? Or, are you just looking for somewhere to get your sweet tooth fix?

Look no further than the Chocolate Cafe. This independently-owned shop that sits on West Olive Street has made a delicious name for itself in the past seven years. The best part? They specialize in all things dessert.

“Back when we first opened, we started with just desserts,” said owner Mike Del Duca. “Now we offer lunch and dinner on the menu.”

The Chocolate Cafe was also one of the first dessert cafes to open in Fort Collins and the U.S., making it an interesting niche of its own. However, the concept remains popular overseas.

“These sorts of cafes are really popular over in Europe,” Del Duca said. “When we first opened, there was only about one or two in the country. That one was in Seattle and the other was here. It was a new concept, having the dining experience with just desserts.”

Over time, Del Duca and his wife, Diane, have based their recipes on personal creations and variations of existing favorites.

If chocolate is not the only thing on your mind now, it will be.

White Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding at Chocolate Cafe

White Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding

A recommendation by both the owner and a kitchen staff member, this dish is presented with a large, warm and soft croissant, glazed in and out with cream anglaise and served with white chocolate chips on the side.

Half-Price Chocolate Martinis 

Looking for a sweet deal on a budget? Every Monday, the Cafe offers half-priced martinis, cutting the price from $8 to $4. From their signature Chocolate Martini to fruity pomegranate and key lime mixes, there is a flavor for everyone.

Bacon Stout Chocolate Cheesecake

This cake is rich and decadent with chocolate, a flaky graham cracker crust and topped off with chocolate frosting and bacon bits. This particular dish spoke to the gourmet side of the menu, arriving on a plate lightly drizzled with caramel and chocolate sauce.

Trifecta

This gluten-free three-layer cake incorporates bittersweet chocolate cake with bittersweet chocolate mousse and topped with white chocolate mousse.

“The trifecta is just so rich and sweet…I’ve come here before and had the trifecta and a chocolate martini … so yummy,” said customer Eveline Goncalves.

This article was created for the 2014 Best of CSU issue produced by the College Avenue Magazine staff.