3 Things To Do Around Campus on Warmer Days

Hike up one of the many trails at Horsetooth Reservoir as the days get longer and warmer. Photo credit: Emily Carrington

It is finally getting warmer, which means pulling out the shorts from the back of the closet, throwing on trusty sunglasses and heading out into the sun with some friends. The recent 60-degree weather in Fort Collins means more sunshine, laughter and fun.

Many students at Colorado State University have been looking forward to the summer since winter came around. But now that flowers are starting to bloom on campus and the grass is getting greener, students have been spending more time outside soaking up the sun while it is here.

With so many things to do on and around campus on the warmer days, it can be hard to decide how to spend your free time. We put together a list of fun things to do in Fort Collins on the warmer days to come.

1. Take a walk or hike

“I love to bike/walk along the Spring Creek Trail, and of course stop for ice cream at the Dairy Queen because it’s right off the path,” Elise Hillbrand said, a sophomore majoring in art at CSU. Other students, such as Trevor Weiss, a freshman majoring in physics at CSU, prefer other modes of transportation. “I like to longboard around campus and the area, and it’s even better when it’s warm outside,” Weiss said. “Whatever it is you like to do, feeling the warm air on your face as you ride around is sure to put you in a good mood.”

Some like to get off campus when the weather is nice. Students enjoy going on hikes at Horsetooth Reservoir or going to Old Town. “On Friday nights now that it’s getting warmer we will go to the Artery when they have art night, and then walk around Old Town afterward,” Hillbrand said.

2. Read a book outside

Some people prefer to sit around and read a book while soaking up the sunshine. Find a spot in the middle of the Oval or the plaza to sit with a good book and enjoy the nice day. “Being an art major and a coffee enthusiast, Hillbrand said. “I like to get to campus early in the morning sometimes and get coffee, sit outside in a courtyard or plaza and just draw and listen to music in the sun.” Sometimes it is just nice to sit and relax for a bit since the next sunny day is always hard to predict.

3. Get active

If it sounds more fun to spend the warm days being a bit more active, there are a lot of options on campus. CSU has volleyball courts near the intermural fields and basketball courts as well. Many students enjoy running around on the fields, playing soccer, tossing a frisbee, or even, as Weiss likes to do, fly a kite with friends on windy days.

With all of these activities, it is easy to enjoy these warm days as they become more and more frequent. Soak up that good old sunshine before it disappears again.