Seasonal Style

Photo by Giulia Bertelli on Unsplash

Winter is a subzero season of snow, skiing and a silly debate about the color of Starbucks’ cups. When you can see your breath while walking from class to class among the snowbanks, the last thing you want to do is put on the dress you thought was cute in the 60 degree haven of October. Here are a few tips to help revamp your wardrobe and keep winter chic from head to toe.

Boots do not have to mean just over the knee boots that cover your whole leg.

“Booties are so in,” said biomedical sciences major Maddie Gardner.

Pairing either of these styles with thick, warm socks will keep your feet pleasantly warm while out and about. Tall stockings up to the thigh keep legs warm even when you choose to wear a dress, and many boot-length socks come in chunky knit materials of assorted weights.

In the colder season, dressing down is far more acceptable.

“Flannels and jeans are my answer to everything,” said health and exercise sciences major Madi Flynn.

Fancy occasions, however, demand something dressier. When it comes to dresses, long sleeves are stylish. These usually include a flowy skirt, along the lines of a skater skirt, which allows you to layer Spanx or tights beneath for an added aspect of warmth. You can even pull on a pair of thermal leggings when the temperatures really start to plunge.

When it comes to men’s fashion, it is all about clean colors and lines. Peacoats are especially stylish, as is layering sweaters and shirts.

“Some guys can really pull off the flannel with a sweater over it, or layer long sleeves,” said biomedical sciences major Cam Lynch.

Many accessories like chunky knit cardigans and infinity scarves can keep you warm, too. When it comes to texting in the winter, almost all gloves today have special material along the pads of the fingers that are touch screen compatible. Beanies are popular on a casual level to keep you warm, and knit headbands can be dressed both up and down.

“People still dress cute when it’s cold out because it’s important to still make a good impression on teachers and other students. You can use more accessories like scarves, socks, and boots,” said equine sciences major Megan Corgan.