The days are getting warmer and it is almost time to put those winter coats away for the season. With summer just around the corner, you may be thinking of trying out some new styles to wear around campus, and we have some ideas to help you along with your seasonal wardrobe hunt.
“[Our wardrobes] are constantly changing with the seasons. The most important aspect of choosing new outfits is finding something to wear that you will feel most comfortable in and something that represents your personality,” Maddy Guidinger said, a senior apparel and merchandising major at Colorado State University.
With the help and fashion advice of Guidinger, here are some up-to-date styles to guide you through this summer.
1. High-waisted shorts — Do not let the age of this style fool you. While high-waisted shorts have been around since the 1970’s, they are still in full fashion and are a popular bottom choice for hot summer days. Be on the lookout for black, white, light-faded or dark-faded styles of these shorts to go along with short tops. Floral print or ripped jean style shorts are on the rise as well. You can find some for yourself online or in stores at Pacsun, Urban Outfitters or Forever21.
2. Floral sundresses — Foral prints have spiked in popularity as we near summer. What is a better way than to jump into warm weather than with flowers and flowy dresses? If dresses are not quite your thing, go for a romper instead. You can find your styles at Lulus or Target.
3. One-piece swimsuits — Sure, the one-piece may not be your number one choice when going for great tan lines, but they sure look amazing. This style has made a comeback and can be found in multiple colors and variations. Take a look at American Eagle Outfitters or Hollister.
4. Color-tinted sunglasses — Sunglasses are an obvious essential item in the summertime, however, they have a bit of a popular new look this year. Colored lenses have become a big hit and can be a fun accessory to go along with your colorful outfits. Check some out at Pacsun and H&M.
5. Hair scrunchies — This popular 1980’s/90’s accessory is back, and just in time for a fun way to keep your hair off your back on hot days. There are many colors and styles to choose from. Take a look at Urban Outfitters, Walmart or DIY options.
1. Draw-string and board shorts — Either type of these shorts are extremely functional. You can wear these anywhere on the beach, poolside, barbecues and get-togethers. Find the best pair for you at Tillys, RVCA or Old Navy.
2. Colored polos — Polos are a great fashion essential that come in multiple fun colors for the summer. Paired with khakis or a nice pair of shorts, these shirts can be worn at almost any summer event. Check out Vineyard Vines or Macy’s to find some for yourself.
3. Boat shoes — To go right along with your colored polos are your popular board shoes. While the name suggests that these are shoes meant for boats, they have become a fashion statement worn really anywhere. If these sound like a style piece you must have, take a look at Sperry or DSW.
4. Bendable sunglasses — These sunglasses are perfect for anywhere you go. Flexible to withstand situations where your glasses could potentially break, these are not only reliable but stylish, too. Find your style on Amazon or at Nordstrom.
5. Hats — Put away your snapbacks and baseball caps; the fashionable hats for this season are sun hats and fedoras. These hats are great for keeping direct sun off of your face and for giving you a new summery look. If you want to try out this look, try searching for them at JCPenny or on Amazon.
Now get outside and enjoy the warm summer weather on campus while showing off your new style.