A Quick and Easy Guide To Your Spring Break Body

Colorado State University’s recreation center offers a variety of workout opportunity for students and faculty. Photo credit: Missy Miller

Spring break is days away and the panic of needing to hit the gym has officially set in. Between school, work and other activities you may not have found the time to start working hard on your beach body yet, but never fear. With less than a week to go before the swimsuits come out, Colorado State University’s recreation center offers a variety of classes, activities and personal training space that can help you to achieve your fitness goals, even last-minute.

The recreation center’s fitness program offers four types of fitness classes: mind/body, group fit, dance/martial arts and cycle classes. These classes will be running all week long and are offered day and night to best fit your schedule. These classes provide a group atmosphere and are a great way to sweat out your stress and prepare your body for the beach. Personal trainers are also available to design workouts that fit you that will help you best reach your fitness goals.

Sweat the stress of midterms away while still getting fit for spring break. A single cycling pass costs $4 while a semester pass costs $35. Photo credit: Missy Miller

“[The CSU recreation center] gets busier within the few weeks leading up to spring break, so it is important to get in as soon as you can,” Rachel Cardozo said, a CSU senior and campus recreation building manager. “We offer a ton of classes and workout opportunities that can really help people prepare for [spring] break.”

Fitness classes and personal training at the recreation center do not require previous experience and are open to all fitness levels, so come as you are and workout to the best of your body’s abilities. Instructors are trained to challenge you while also paying attention to your body’s strengths and weaknesses.

Aside from recreational classes or personal trainers, there are a few ways to prepare for the break on your own. With the help of CSU senior and CrossFit Fitness Trainer, Sean Larkin, we have compiled some quick, effective workout routines that you can perform on your own. “These workouts are designed to be quick, so you can have time in your day for other plans, but also high intensity for effective results over a short few days,” Larkin said.

Try these workouts over the next few days leading up to spring break, and hopefully see the results you are looking for.

Tuesday

Alternate between push-ups and sit-ups, following this ladder of repetitions: 10-12-14-16-14-12-10

For example, do 10 push-ups and 10 sit-ups, then 12 push-ups and 12 sit-ups.

Wednesday

• 21 Burpees – 21 V Ups – 50 meter sprint
  • Rest
  • 15 Burpees – 15 V Ups – 50 meter sprint
  • Rest
  • 9 Burpees – 9 V Ups – 50 meter sprint

Thursday

5 rounds of the following: 2 minutes of box jumps – 1-minute plank

Friday

• Warm up by running 500 meters or by rowing 500 meters
  • 20 minutes of as many rounds as you can: (Weighted plates are encouraged for these exercises, but are not required.) 12 walking lunges – 8 atomic sit-ups – 12 squats – 8 overhead sit-ups

Any of these workouts can be self-modified to fit your capabilities or level of preferred intensity.