Pro-tips for the underclassmen

Photo by Ricki Watkins.

With graduation fast approaching, there is a lot of wisdom that will also be leaving CSU. Upperclassmen have paid their dues and learned a lot during their time here, and it is only fitting that they sprinkle their wisdom upon the underclassmen. It is important to take the lessons learned and advice of those who have experienced it all.

“Always use ratemyprofessor.com,” said Maddy Wyckoff, a journalism major and senior, in reference to making a class schedule.

For some, having a well-paying job is the number one thing to achieve right out of college. For others, how much a job pays is secondary to doing what they love for the rest of their life.

“Find what you enjoy doing and do it regardless of how much money you will make” Wycoff said. “In the end, if you are doing what you love, then it won’t be work.”

As important as it is to find something you love and doing it well, attaining that dream job comes with years of hard work, something graduating senior Gereon Fredrickson, a psychology major, knows well. Grades are important to anyone wanting to move on to graduate school or get a job.

“The best tip I can give is that your GPA matters every year,” Fredrickson said. “Strive to get the A in every class; it pays off.”

Fredrickson and Wycoff were both apart of Greek Life; both said it is absolutely possible for anyone to have a fulfilling academic career, as well as a social life.

College can be some of the best years of our lives, why wouldn’t we take advice from those older than us and use it to make college the most rewarding experience in all aspects?

So underclassmen, take this advice to heart or with a grain of salt — either way there is still a lot to learn so we can pass along our wisdom one day too.

This article was created for the 2014 Fall Graduation Guide produced by College Avenue Magazine staff.