The Gorehound’s Playground Creates Community Through Horror Films

Owner Jeff Abbott (right) and business partner Scott Shepherd (left) standing in the front of The Gorehound’s Playground. Photo credit: Erik Fideor

The Gorehound’s Playground is a local Fort Collins horror-junky heaven. Named after the song “I Ain’t Nuthin’ But A Gorehound” from the 80s rock band The Cramps, they have a unique environment surrounding their in-shop theatre/retail rental store combo. The Gorehound’s Playground opened Halloween of 2017 and is owned and operated by Jeff Abbott and Scott Shepherd.

Owner Jeff Abbott (right) and business partner Scott Shepherd (left) standing in the front of The Gorehound's Playground.

The pair has been avid horror movie collectors since they were kids and have a combined collection of well over 3,000 films. Abbott had previously been a chef for 34 years. After becoming tired of the industry, Abbott looked to pursue something he was a little more passionate about; horror.

“I had always wanted to operate a movie theatre, but it isn’t that easy,” Abbott said “Partnering with rentals and retail allowed for Gorehounds to actually work and operate with a theatre.”

The Gorehound's Playground has 30 seats in its screening room.
The Gorehound’s Playground has 30 seats in its screening room. Films are screened on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. Photo credit: Erik Fideor

The front room of The Gorehound’s Playground is lined wall-to-wall with their immense film collection. Ranging from grindhouse horror to Italian Giallo suspense movies with foreign, independent and other films are thrown into the mix and are all open to the public for rent. As the front functions as a retail/rental store, the back is a couch-seated venue with a theatre that features horror films Thursday and Friday at 7 p.m. and Saturday with a double feature at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m.

A selection of board games and concessions also available for purchase.
A selection of board games and concessions also available for purchase. Photo credit: Erik Fideor

Abbott said The Gorehound’s Playground is not simply a horror movie venue, but a place of community. The entire venue is not only lined with collectibles from every genre of horror but also features local artists looking to get their art moved to a tangible format instead of simply being online. Abbott is currently looking at allowing local independent film artists of all genres who want a place to screen their movies to do so with their in-shop theatre. As a place of community, they look to create an atmosphere that is open and cohesive as a retail/rental store, theatre and hang-out spot.

The Gorehound’s Playground provides a unique opportunity for the community within Fort Collins. It is not a horror exclusive venue and is defiantly a functioning place to network. If you are looking for a relaxed and fun environment to meet like-minded people with a unique theme, The Gorehound’s Playground is definitely a place to visit.